Wednesday, December 26, 2007

More Class Moment Readers' Email


As you can see from the last post, I am publishing comments from readers about moments of class recognition. Here is another one:
Dear Jeff:
I can top those. I was 19 in 1974 and an undergraduate. I spotted this girl and we talked after class a few times. I finally asked here after sociology if she wanted to go have lunch. She said yes. I was confident I knew the perfect place. A new mall had been built in town and it had a Sears. I had been there once already and the Sears had a cafeteria. To me it was heaven. In the dessert section bowl after bowl of cubed Jello with dabs of Cool-Whip. Lots of mash potatoes and Salisbury steak. Yum!!

Yes, you guessed it. That is where I took her. When we drove to the mall, all was fine. As we approached Sears she was walking slower. By the time we got to the cafeteria there was just something about her expression and posture that told me this just was not right. I told her to "eat up." I had the works including two desserts. I tried to keep the mood upbeat but it was not working. She picked at her roll and salad for about 30 minutes. I took her back to campus, she thanked me and that was the end.

No comments: