Thursday, February 20, 2025

UF and Neutrality

 

UF and its Neutrality Policy

On September 10, I posted a comment on Facebook I now regret that was critical of Charlie Kirk and President Trump. Like much that appears on social media it was unnecessarily sharply worded but well within what courts regard as protected speech. Nevertheless, the University did not response. In fact, a document search revealed no communication with the University about this comment for several days until September 18 when I was cyber-bullied at the behest, I am told but do not know, of Scott Presler.  Late that same night, at  10:48 P.M.,  I received a terse unsigned email from the self-proclaimed “neutral” UF administration, indicating that my emeritus status had been revoked.  The notice was careful not to say why because that would raise pesky First Amendment issues. In their own version of cyber-bullying, this news was made public by the University on social media  for all to see and reported by the Alligator and the Gainesville Sun the next morning. I was given no opportunity to respond.

I have repeatedly tried to engage President Landry and other University officials in a discussion of other less callous actions that were actually neutral. There was no response at all,  no doubt by the order of the University’s massive team of attorneys. For example, I could have been informed privately of my punishment. More simply and logically the University could have posted on social media “Professor Harrison has not been employed by the University for five years and his views do not reflect those of the University.” That would be an example of neutrality, a policy to which the President pledged to adhere but obviously did not.

There are lessons here regarding the 1st Amendment and its, like my own, demotion in the view of the University. This is also a lesson for a University president of only 18 days about snap decisions and who he should rely on for advice in the future. But putting all that aside (and it’s a lot) what we learned is the University is a vindictive place, plays to a specific audience,  and it is quick to attach a high tech version of the letter A to those who dissent. 

PS: President Landry in a kindly written note restored my emeritus status during his last day or two of his role as Interim President. My hunch is that this did not sit well with the interim provost but I cannot be sure

Jeffrey L. Harrison

No comments: