Sunday, August 09, 2009

Atticus Say it Ain't So

I thought I was up on law and literature but evidently not. The latest New Yorker includes a bit of a deconstruction of Atticus Finch, the hero of To Kill a Mockingbird. If my memory serves me, at least one law professor, Monroe Freedman, is quoted. It seems that the honorable Atticus was only able to offer his moral lesson by strutting his sexism and class bias. It's an interesting read, especially for any law professors holding Atticus out as a model to their students.

2 comments:

Sally said...

This is an impressive analysis. But note that there's an interesting and dare I say compelling rebuttal in the new Southern Literature 2009 issue of the Oxford American.

Jeffrey Harrison said...

Likewise a number of letters to the editor in the New Yorker in response to the original article.